Inspiring Others to do Great Things

A Profile of Senior School English Teacher Mrs. Delavega

New English teacher Mrs. Delavega (Image courtesy of Mrs. Delavega)

Anthony John Wiles, Jr, Co-Editor-in-Chief

Military veteran, HBCU graduate, and a woman of many passions, Mrs. Danielle Delavega is one of the Senior School’s new English teachers. Joining the faculty full time this year, Mrs. Delavega previously worked at the Academy for several years as a substitute teacher.

Initially, she was drawn to our school around six years ago by a friend of hers, Mrs. Jennifer Brown–a longtime Spanish teacher and community leader at SA. “Ever since then, I have been subbing and loving it. I have met so many wonderful people and students. There is a very warm and safe atmosphere here at the school,” she says.

A native of Monroeville, Mrs. Delavega is a graduate of Gateway Senior High School, and attended Lincoln University–a historically Black college (HBCU) near Philadelphia. In high school, she trained in cosmetology, but discovered her passions lied in the humanities. 

During Operation Desert Storm, Mrs. Delavega served in the United States Air Force Reserve. After her service, she returned to her schooling, earning a Bachelor’s of Arts degree in English from Fort Valley State University, an HBCU in Middle Georgia. 

Originally intending to be a lawyer, she enrolled in the paralegal program at Duquesne University, but soon discovered that this was not the field for her. She returned to Duquesne and earned a master’s degree in education (M.Ed).

Mrs. Delavega says that she was motivated by several of the teachers and professors she’s had throughout her educational career, but that her parents are her biggest inspiration to teach. “My mom is a retired school teacher and I have watched her connect with so many of her students and help them to achieve their goals.” 

She is an avid reader and fan of multiple genres. Some of her current favorites are The Warmth of Other Suns and Caste by Isabel Wilkerson;  Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison; The Joy Luck Club by Amy Tan; The Book of Gutsy Woman by Hillary Clinton; Becoming by Michele Obama; and The Audacity of Hope and The Promised Land by Barack Obama.

Outside of school, Mrs. Delavega enjoys spending time with her husband and children, as well as playing the piano, traveling, fine dining. 

Also, she is a member of the Pittsburgh Alumnae Chapter of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Incorporated, an African American Greek letter organization dedicated to community service, academic excellence, and leadership–of which she joined after college.

Currently, Mrs. Delavega teaches freshman and sophomore English classes, as well as the “Best Books” course for seniors, and she will be teaching Senior Seminar in the third trimester. In addition to this, she is a co-sponsor of the African American Culture Club, where she has extended her mentorship skills beyond the classroom.

“I hope that my presence here inspires someone to do great things. I love teaching and seeing students take the knowledge they learn in my classroom and applying it to their own lives.”

Welcome to the Senior School, Mrs. Delavega!